Background

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

New Release: Hooking Up by Helena Hunting + Review




Hooking Up
by Helena Hunting


Amalie Whitfield is the picture of a blushing bride during her wedding reception–but for all the wrong reasons. Instead of proclaiming his undying love, her husband can be heard, by Amalie and their guests, getting off with someone else. She has every reason to freak out, and in a moment of insanity, she throws herself at the first hot-blooded male she sees. But he’s not interested in becoming her revenge screw.
Mortified and desperate to escape the post-wedding drama, Amalie decides to go on her honeymoon alone, only to find the man who rejected her also heading to the same tiny island for work. But this time he isn’t holding back. She should know better than to sleep with someone she knows, but she can’t seem to resist him.
They might agree that what happens on the island should stay on the island, but neither one can deny that their attraction is more than just physical.
Filled with hilariously scandalous situations and enough sexual chemistry to power an airplane from New York City to the South Pacific, Hooking Up is a standalone, laugh-out-loud romantic comedy.

HOOKING UP is LIVE!
Get the book:
Google Play ➭ http://bit.ly/2pGhgwV











My Review:

3.5 stars
***

This was a pretty good book, but I had a few issues with it. This is Amie and Lex's book. Amie has been married only hours when her marriage is destroyed by a very public act of cheating on her new husband, Armstrong's part during the reception. She has a huge, giant breakdown and in a fit of retaliation, comes onto Lex, who is her best friend Ruby's boyfriend's brother and Armstrong's cousin. But Lex turns her down and feels bad for her. Amie decides to go on her honeymoon alone, and she is shocked to find Lex is on her flight to Bora Bora on a work trip. They end up hooking up and spending time together on Amie's honeymoon. Both agree that they can't continue their fling once they get home. Lex has always had an antagonistic and competitive relationship with Armstrong. Their family has major drama because of Armstrong's scandal. He makes getting an annulment from Amie very difficult. But, once they get home, they miss each other, so Lex and Amie find they still want to see each other after Bora Bora. Amie has a lot of healing and life changes to go through before she is ready for a relationship with Lex, but it all works out for them in the end. 

I liked Lex a lot. He was funny and sexy, sweet and patient with Amie. I liked Amie for the most part, although she did frustrate me at times. But I didn't feel an amazing connection between them. There were conversations and times spent between Amie and Lex that were mentioned but not shown. I needed to see those because I didn't feel the couple falling in love. There was a lot of sex, which I am not complaining about, but I needed more talk of feeling and relationship building beyond sex. Amie had been through a lot. I did understand that and I felt bad for her. But I never really felt like she moved on and jumped head on into a new relationship with a clean slate. She was still unsure and scared of giving her heart to Lex and trusting him throughout the book. I wanted to like her more, but I never really felt like she got over her failed marriage fully. I needed to see her growth. I also felt like the pacing was a little off. The first part of the book was funny, fun and sexy, but the second part was slower and only okay to me. I also didn't love the end. (view spoiler) I did like the story, though, and I liked catching up with Ruby and Bane. There were some really funny parts, some sexy times, and a lot of emotional times. 

Overall, I did enjoy this book, even if I didn't totally love it the way I loved Shacking Up. It is an enjoyable, worthwhile read. I look forward to more from Ms. Hunting in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment