Background

Tuesday, March 14, 2023

New Release: The Long Way Home by Harper Sloan + Review!

 




The Long Way Home, the surprise final book in the Corps Security series, by Author Harper Sloan is now available!


Blurb:
There’s a price to pay for a life with a greater purpose. The healing of time is a damn liar when you’re living a life as a dead man with no true home, and the silence couldn’t be more deafening. Counting the days, good and bad, I exist as the world keeps spinning. I can never look back. All I can do is hope I took enough out of that life to carry me forward on those dead legs. Everything that was meant to give the tragedy of my life meaning ended up holding me prisoner in this wreckage of my past.
Until now.
One look into her eyes and I’m completely disarmed. It’s only everything I thought I gave up. These walls I’ve built to protect and shroud me crumble more whenever she’s near. I’ve spent years waiting for a reason to breathe again, and now that I have her within reach, I’m not sure I can keep her. Is it possible to find both the missing piece of my soul and the remedy to my healing in one set of bright green eyes? Everything I thought I would never have is staring back at me saying … yes, I can.








Review:

3.5 stars
***

 The Long Way Home is the surprise final book to the Corps Security series, written almost 10 years after the previous book in the series. This is Olivia and Drew's story. Olivia is a new character to the series, while there is a twist and Drew is someone we have met before in a way. I don't want to give too much away, but if you've read the series you may be able to guess what I mean. Olivia is a coffee shop owner who lives in Boston. She is raising her five year old niece, Riley, after her sister's death. Drew is one of her customers, a mysterious, silent type who has been coming in her shop for years. Both of their lives have been shaped by tragedy, but as they spend more time together they develop a strong connection. When both of their pasts come back to haunt them, they are put to the test but come out stronger together in the end.

This book can't be read as a standalone. You must have read the previous books in the series. Maybe I should have reread the series before I read this one, because while I remembered the details, I didn't quite carry over the emotion from the previous books into this book. That made me not feel the emotions of this book as strongly as I feel like I should have. This is all very vague, I know, sorry. But I just didn't feel the strong emotional wrenching from this book that I was expected to. I liked the story in general, but I didn't completely fall in love it or with the characters. Olivia was very sugary sweet, but a little flat and one-dimensional for me. Her niece, Riley, was a five year old that felt more like a ten year old. Her obsession with BTS did not seem age appropriate. Drew was fine. I didn't really feel any chemistry between he and Olivia. Their relationship felt very fast moving, syrupy, instalove.

Still, I did enjoy the book in general, even if I wasn't able to full connect with the characters or emotions. It was fun to revisit the old Corps security characters, although it was hard to imagine them so much older as grandparents. Olivia was only 35, but she never mentions the age differences between them, which seems like it would be slightly awkward. But, overall, I was happy Drew and Olivia found each other and were able to get over their emotional pasts to face a happy future together. They were sweet together and deserved all the goodness coming their way. I am happy to see that Ms. Sloan is writing again and I look forward to new books from her in the future.







No comments:

Post a Comment