Background

Monday, May 8, 2023

Review: 6 Clues Your Nemesis Loves You by Kelly Siskind

 


6 Clues Your Nemesis Loves You 

by Kelly Siskind 


Enemies spark in this Bower Boys romance full of banter, sizzling heat, second chances, and small-town charm.

In high school, Maggie Edelstein set the rules of our secret relationship, but I’m calling the shots now. In my dreams.

Maggie’s still infuriating and confusing, and absolutely stunning. She’s also still pretending we barely spent time together as teens, when we met up nightly at her family’s pond.

Over a decade later, I’m back in my hometown and some things haven’t changed. My chemistry with Maggie is once again hotter than a four-alarm fire, and she’s intent on denying it. I don’t blame her. The last night we saw each other I made a horrible mistake and hurt her, then I vanished into witness protection for ten years.

But there’s something else going on with her.

I recognize a secret when I see one, and her friends say she doesn’t do commitment. If I can get her to forgive me and open up, maybe she’ll break her rules and give us a second chance. Or she’ll light my heart on fire and dance around the flames…


Links:

https://geni.us/6CluesAZ






Review:

3.5 stars

***


This was a pretty good book. 6 Clues Your Nemesis Loves You is book three in the Bower Boys series. This series is about a group of brothers whose dad committed crimes when they were teens/young adults that caused them to have to immediately go into the witness protection program, leaving their lives behind and everyone they care about, without saying goodbye. This book is Lennon and Maggie's book. They met in high school but weren't really friends or in the same circle. Until one night, while going through his own teenage problems, he comes upon Maggie swimming in a pond in the dark. They slowly became secret friends, where they ignored each other at school but met up at nights to commiserate over their problems. Their relationship was just beginning to take a turn when Lennon and his family disappeared mysteriously (into Wit-sec). Now, it is years later, Lennon's family is free, as the cartel that was after them are dead. He and several of his brothers have moved back to town. He now runs a kids hiking and wilderness business. Maggie still lives in the town and has refused to talk to him, until one day they get locked in an elevator together. Lennon wants to clear the air between them and make sure there are no hard feelings for the way things were left between them, not to mention he still has feelings for her. But Maggie isn't very interested and she has a boyfriend at the time. Still, Lennon pushes for Maggie to give him a chance and finally she breaks up with her boyfriend and works things out with him.

This was a good story. It was more of a second chance romance than an enemies to lovers one. I liked Lennon, while Maggie was just okay to me. I did feel like they didn't have a ton of chemistry. Their relationship was high on the angst scale, which is not my favorite. Also, I'm never a big fan of books where the guy is cruel to the girl and constantly pushes her away. This book was the opposite of that, a role reversal of most books. Lennon was very sweet to Maggie and she hurt him a lot. He was the doormat in this scenario and kept coming back for more. I understood her fears of being with him, but she made him feel terrible. He was the one made to look like he owed her an apology, when she really owed one to him. He treated her so well, even writing her love notes every day, when she just kept hurting him and pushing him away. I definitely felt like he deserved better. The author noted in the author's note that readers are harder on heroines than heroes and she knows that people will be hard on Maggie. This reader personally is hard on any character who is cruel and treats their partner badly, regardless of gender. It is not because of her gender. I can name 10 books off the top of my head where the hero was a complete jerk and I never forgave him for it. That is the case in this book as well. I definitely was frustrated with Maggie and I don't think she quite redeemed herself to me. I needed more from her to forgive her for hurting Lennon, who was a lovable sweetheart. Still, in the end, she and Lennon managed to work things out between them and were happy together. I liked Lennon enough to overcome that I wasn't crazy about Maggie. And the story was good, as well as the side characters. I will keep reading this series and I look forward to the stories of the remaining single Bower brothers.

Overall, I did enjoy this book, even if it is not my favorite from this series. I look forward to the rest of the series and more to come from Ms. Siskind in the future!






No comments:

Post a Comment