Background

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Review: Down with Love by Kate Meader













Down with Love 
(Laws of Attraction #1)
by Kate Meader



Blurb:

Sparks fly when the hot-shot divorce lawyer meets the high-powered wedding planner. The only question is, what kind?

If you ever get married, remember my name: Max Henderson. In my line of work, you acquire a certain perspective on supposedly everlasting unions. . . .

1. Pre-nups are your friend. 
2. The person you married is not the person you’re divorcing. 
3. And I hope you didn’t spend much on the wedding because that was one helluva waste of hard-earned cash, wasn’t it? 

But some guys are willing to take a chance. Like my brother, who thinks he’s going to ride off into the sunset with the woman of his dreams in a haze of glitter on unicorns. And the wedding planner—the green-eyed beauty who makes a living convincing suckers to shell out thousands of dollars on centerpieces—is raking it in on this matrimonial monstrosity. 

The thing is, Charlie Love is not unlike me. We’re both cogs in the wedding-industrial complex. As the best man, I know her game—and I can play it better than her. But after one scorching, unexpected kiss, I’m thinking I might just want to get played.


********


DOWN WITH LOVE is live! First in a brand-new series, this is a sexy, hilarious enemies-to-lovers romance ...
Max doesn't believe in happily-ever after.
Charlie sells it for a living.
The divorce lawyer vs. the wedding planner? Hoo boy!

Buy Links:





          



Review: 




3.75 stars

***



This was a pretty good book. This is Charlie and Max's story. The two meet in a bar and feel an attraction to each other, but that attraction hits a bump when they find out of who each other are. Charlie is a wedding planner and is planning Max's brother's wedding. Max is a divorce lawyer who is not really on-board with his brother getting married to someone he hasn't known long and having a very short engagement. The two are at odds from the beginning. But they keep running into each other during the wedding planning process. Sparks fly, and even though Charlie knows Max is not Mr. Long Term, they begin a casual relationship. That leads to more and to love between them. Both are forced to examine their feelings about marriage and come to term with what they really want out of life and love. There are some funny, sweet and sexy moments and they get the HEA they deserve. 

I liked this book. I liked Max and Charlie. Max is charming, confident and not at all interested in a relationship. Charlie is sweet and wants to get married soon, looking for the one. There was a little too much animosity between them when they first met and kept running into each other, but I liked where they got by the end. They started the book with opposing personalities that I felt like swapped with each other by the end. Max came off as a smarmy, divorce lawyer who was cynical about love, while Charlie came off as a sweet wedding planner who was in love with love. But by the end, we can see that the reality is that Max was a closet romantic, who helps his clients rebuild their lives and get over their divorces, and who was holding out for the perfect love for himself because he wanted to get it right in one try. And Charlie had been hurt in her past, so she was holding back putting herself completely out there in relationships to protect herself. 

I did think the first half of the book was a bit slow moving, while the ending was a little rushed. There was a little too much "will they or won't they get together", back and forth angst. I wanted a bit more happy time with them together, after they'd both laid all their cards on the table. It seemed like they left it until the very end to get their acts together and admit to each other they were in love. Also, I could have done without Charlie's parents having marital issues. That felt like unnecessary added drama. But, overall, I enjoyed this book. I felt a chemistry and connection between the couple. I enjoyed their relationship development and felt like they were a good match. There are some sweet, funny, emotional moments, too. 

Overall, I enjoyed this matchup of a wedding planner and a divorce lawyer. They were opposite on the surface, but alike in many ways underneath. I enjoyed Max and Charlie's journey to love. There are some fun side characters that I can see having their own books, potentially, in this series. I look forward to more from Ms. Meader and this fun, sexy series!




No comments:

Post a Comment