Background

Sunday, October 13, 2019

New Release: Awk-weird by Avery Flynn + Review!







There’s more to me than just being awk-weird. I own my own flower shop, have some great friends, and I have my eye on adopting the most adorable kitten. But sadly, hot guys don’t tend to be blown away by my trivia-spouting, dorky self.

So, when a Thor-lookalike who happens to be a professional hockey player hits on me at my bestie's wedding rehearsal party ... You better believe I climbed that tree like a cat. And the face that it happened not once, not twice, but three times? Yeah, that's pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime experience for a woman like me. 

There's zero chance I'll end up ever seeing him again...right? 

Until the pregnancy test comes up positive. What happens next?

Oh my God, I wish I knew...



Get Your Copy NOW:



Add on Goodreads








REVIEW:

3.5 stars
***


Awk-weird was a cute read! This is Tess and Cole's story. Tess is a quirky, awkward, trivia-buff who owns a flower shop and who meets Cole at her good friend's wedding. Cole is a pro hockey player and has recently broken up with his on again-off again girlfriend (again). The two meet and have a sexy one night stand, but neither think anything will come of it. Fate has other plans when Tessa finds out she is pregnant. When her apartment floods soon after, she moves in with Cole while it is being repaired and so they can get to know each other and become friends before their baby comes. Along the way, they find they have great chemistry and are really good together, so they begin to fall for each other. They both have some issues to overcome before they can make things work between them, but it all works out in the end and Tess and Cole get their HEA.

I liked Cole and Tess's characters. Tess, especially, was endearing, quirky and relatable. They were very unique and fun together. I did feel like there was a little too much back and forth between them. Both were frustrating at times and stubborn. I wanted them to see the truth about their feelings for each other sooner. There was a bit too much focus on their personal flaws, like Tess feeling like everything was temporary, due to her unstable childhood, and Cole's need for routine and structure. I felt those flaws were harped on throughout the book, instead of being resolved quicker. Cole is a creature of habit, possibly having some OCD tendencies. He fixates on his routine in a big way. He has an on again off again girlfriend that he had been with since childhood. He has always imagined he would eventually marry her. When he meets Tess, he is "off" with his ex, but he has no doubt they will get back together. Even when he and Tess have their hookup, he still thinks he will get back together with his ex, and through much of the events of the book, he still feels the same way. Eventually, he does realize that he is clinging to that routine and he didn't really love his ex anymore. His ex also does not pursue him or act interested in getting back together with him. So I wasn't extremely bothered by that ex drama, but I was bothered by the fact that he never really explained all of that to Tess. I wanted him to tell her that he no longer loved or wanted his ex, because he let her think otherwise and the ex is brought up very often. It bothered me that this plot point wasn't fully resolved. I felt it added a little too much angst. I felt very sorry for Tess. Also, the big conflict and the way it wrapped up was not my favorite. I didn't feel like Cole apologized for his part and I felt like Tess apologized too much, when not everything was her fault. I felt like she was made out to be the bad guy, when she was not, in my eyes. I did like the first 75% of the book better than the ending. The resolution was too short and the couple was not officially together until the very end. This all had me knocking the rating down from a 4 to a 3.5.

Still, most of the book was very enjoyable. I liked the slow burn, funny, sweet and easy feel of the book. The story was cute and I love a surprise pregnancy. I especially liked Tess's knowledge of fun facts and trivia. I was happy that Tess and Cole were able to work out their relationship, fall in love, get over their issues and pasts, and make a family with their baby.

Overall, Awk-weird was a good read. I found Tess and Cole's story sweet and fun, despite a few issues I had. This was my first read by Avery Flynn and I will try her again in the future.






USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling romance author Avery Flynn has three slightly-wild children, loves a hockey-addicted husband and is desperately hoping someone invents the coffee IV drip. Avery was a reader before she was a writer and hopes to always be both. She loves to write about smartass alpha heroes who are great with a quip and relatable heroines who are feisty, fierce and fantastic.


Follow Her Here:


Hosted By:

No comments:

Post a Comment