Background

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

New Release: Licks by Kelly Siskind + Review!






Licks
by Kelly Siskind



Blurb:

The hot new second chance romance from Kelly Siskind! 

36 hours is a short spell when racing the clock.
2,160 minutes is an eternity for old friends to fall in love…
 

August Cruz is the only man I’ve ever loved. 
He’s the one who got away. 
He’s the one I totally screwed over. 

Now he’s standing on my doorstep, nine years later, but he’s not the only thing that turns up. My mother’s lost diary is in my hands, and it might lead me to my father. A possibility I wished for one year ago, at my last birthday. 

I have 36 hours to fulfill that wish. 
I have 36 hours to drag August on a wild scavenger hunt. 
I have 36 hours to protect my heart before I lose him again...because there's something he's not telling me. 

LICKS is a full-length, standalone Sexy Second Chance Romance with a swoony Happily Ever After.















REVIEW:


4 stars
****


This was a good book! This is August and Gwen's story. August and Gwen were childhood next door neighbors and best friends. Their friendship ends when they were seniors in high school, through a series of miscommunications and insecurities. A year later, while in college, Gwen attempts to apologize, to repair the friendship and let August know that she really has romantic feelings for him. But, again, due to more miscommunication and stupid, young kid moments, they only end up hurting each other more and obliterating any chance of them having any sort of relationship. Gwen commits an act that she refers to as her WTF (Worst Terrible Fuckup) . Now, it is nine years later. Gwen has moved on from her childhood and has a good life, a great job, close friends. She is doing better, despite the fact that her mother, who she had a tumultuous relationship with, has recently died. On her last birthday, Gwen vowed to find out who her biological father is before her next birthday (her mother refused to tell he before her death). Now it is 2 days until her birthday. August shows up on her doorstep and a series of events lead them on an emotional adventure together to figure out what really happened between them and search to find the truth about her father as the clock counts down.

This book took place over a short period of time (less than 2 days). It is a whirlwind of emotions as Gwen and August work through the pain that tore them apart, forgive each other and build a new beginning together. I felt for both August and Gwen. Gwen's terrible childhood affected her self esteem and how she reacted when her friendship with August was broken. They both did some stupid things, but they were just kids and they never meant to hurt each other. Gwen's WTF moment did not bother me safety-wise. It was an obviously drunken mistake, which happened very quickly nine years ago and is not descriptive or enjoyed by her. It was obvious that their time to be together was now, when they had matured and realized they were never going to move on from each other. Neither of them had a meaningful relationship over the years because they were meant to be together. There is some suspense and mystery as Gwen and August worked to discover the truth about Gwen's father. I really enjoyed the emotions, humor, and love explored as their relationship develops. I loved both Gwen and August. They were perfect together and very obviously soulmates. I hurt for both of them and everything they went through to get to their HEA. There is a higher level of angst than I usually enjoy, but it did not bother me in this book. I wanted a little more closure in the end as I was left with some questions on what their relationship would look like (Long distance relationship? How often do they see each other?, etc.). I needed a little more info to feel completely secure in their HEA.

Still, overall, Licks was emotional, angsty, sweet and sexy read that I thoroughly enjoyed. I am really enjoying reading Kelly Siskind's books and look forward to more from her in the future!















No comments:

Post a Comment