Background

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Review: Head Over Heels by Jennifer Dawson




Head Over Heels 
by Jennifer Dawson


3.5 stars
*** 



This was a pretty good book. I liked it but I didn't love it. This is Sophie and Ryder's story. Sophie loses her high profile PR job when her boss goes to prison for embezzlement. Her connection with him and his company make her a professional pariah. So she moves to the small town of Revival, where one of her best friends lives, to get a short term job with the local government. She thinks she is way too good for the small town and will die of boredom. Sophie is counting down the days until she can move back to Chicago. But she soon meets her hot cop neighbor and things start to get interesting. Sophie doesn't want to get involved with him, but sparks fly and neither of them can help themselves. They spend time together and start to fall for each other. But real life intrudes and Sophie must make a decision- love with a small town cop or a lonely, but busy workaholic life in the city. 

The main reason I didn't love this book was because of Sophie's behavior. From the very minute she met Ryder, she hated him because he was hot. She acted like a total bitch. It took me a long time to get into the book (about 30%) until I started to enjoy it.  But once Sophie and Ryder kissed, I liked them together and felt their chemistry. I still felt like their was too much silly back and and forth behavior and wishy-washyness on Sophie's part. She was very immature acting and liked to play games. At 50%, she was still saying she hated Ryder. I was really hoping she would start acting like a grown up, but she really never did. Her behavior was childish throughout the whole book and she never really improved. I didn't hate her character, but she frustrated me.  I liked Ryder a lot. He was pretty much perfect. I felt bad for the way Sophie acted towards him. To me, this book was way angstier than it needed to be for such a simple story. However, I did like the story a lot. I liked the small town atmosphere and Sophie's close friendships. The writing was pretty good. I am curious about the other books in the series and I may read them later. 

I have read and enjoyed the Undone series by Ms. Dawson. I must say that I enjoyed those books more, but it could just be because of Sophie's character in this book. Overall, this was not a bad book, even if I didn't totally love it. However, it was still worth reading and I did enjoy it for the most part.

* Head Over Heels releases 9/26 *

Buy link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1420140159/ref=x_gr_w_bb?ie=UTF8&tag=x_gr_w_bb-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1420140159&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2

No comments:

Post a Comment