Background

Monday, January 7, 2019

Review: The Bastard by Lisa Renee Jones






The Bastard
by Lisa Renee Jones



I'm the bastard child, son to the mistress, my father's backup heir to the Mitchell empire. He sent me to Harvard. I left and became a Navy SEAL, but I'm back now, and I finished school on my own dime. I'm now the right hand man to Grayson Bennett, the billionaire who runs the Bennett Empire. I'm now a few months from being a billionaire myself. I don't need my father's company or his love. My "brother" can have it. I will never go back there. I will never be the mistake my father made, the way he was the mistake my mother made.

And then she walks in the door, the princess I'd once wanted more than I'd wanted my father's love. She wants me to come back. She says my father needs to be saved. I don't want to save my father but I do want her. Deeply. Passionately. More than I want anything else.

But she's The Princess and I'm The Bastard. We don't fit. We don't belong together and yet she says he needs me, that she needs me. We're like sugar and spice, we don't mix, but I really crave a taste. Just one. What harm can just one taste 

do?











Start the Filthy Trilogy NOW and get THE B*STARD now for just 99 cents! 

She never expected to fall this hard for her stepbrother...


THE B*STARD (book one)


iBooks → https://apple.co/2MnlwQd
Amazon Universal → http://mybook.to/DRBA
BN → http://bit.ly/2OUjMLl


***


PRE-ORDER THE PRINCESS (book two)


iBooks → https://apple.co/2OAVBAN
Amazon Universal → http://mybook.to/Princess
BN → http://bit.ly/2OJbQw0


***


PRE-ORDER THE EMPIRE (book three)


iBooks → https://apple.co/2CRyG1H
Amazon Universal → http://mybook.to/EmpireFT
BN → http://bit.ly/2SBAmSs














REVIEW:


3.5 stars
***


The Bastard is book one in the Filthy duet. In this book, we get 

Eric (from the Dirty Rich series) and Harper's story. Eric is a 

billionaire and right hand man to Grayson Bennett. He is the 

ill-treated, bastard son to a rich jerk who managed to get away

 from his family and become his own man. Harper is his 

stepsister, whose mother married his father after they were 

both grown. When they first met as adults, Harper and Eric 

had an instant connection and spent a very hot night together. 

But Harper was working for Eric's dad as his protege to run his 

car manufacturing company and Eric wanted nothing to do 

with his father or family. So their paths diverged and they 

hadn't spoken for six years. Now, Harper is still working for her

 stepfather's company and she knows something is not right. 

She thinks her stepfather or stepbrother, Isaac, are covering 

up something terrible in the company that is causing cars to be

 recalled and consumer deaths. Harper goes to Eric for help. 

He is reluctant at first and doesn't know whether he can trust 

her, but the connection between the two of them is too strong

 for him to deny. The two begin to try to solve the mystery 

within the company.


I liked this book in general, but I felt like it would have been 

better off as one book instead of a duet. I did not see the need 

to have it split. I liked Harper and Eric, but they didn't trust

 each other throughout the entire book. It felt like their 

relationship went nowhere. The book took too long to get 

moving and not very much happened until the end, where 

there was a big reveal and a cliffhanger. I am a fan of Ms. Jones 

and I know her writing style. I have faith she will pull it all 

together in book two. It just didn't read like this was a story

 that needed to be split into a duet. If I had not read this 

author's books before and trusted her, I'm not sure this book 

would be enough to keep a reader's attention and make them 

want to read book two. But, personally, I did feel invested 

enough to continue. I just wish the two books were released

 closer together. Still, I did like the story so far and I look 

forward to the conclusion of Eric and Harper's story. I do think

 they will be a good couple once they get their act together. I 

did enjoy this book, even if I wanted it to move quicker. I like 

Ms. Jones writing style. It is romantic, sexy, suspenseful and 

deliciously soapy. I trust her to pull this story all together. I am 

looking forward to the mystery being solved and their 

relationship coming together in book two, The Princess. 


ETA: I just read this duet is being turned into a trilogy. That 

makes me less excited to finish the series because the story is 

just going to be drawn out more, frustrating me further. Still, I 

will read them both because I am hooked on this story enough 

to see it through to the end.








No comments:

Post a Comment