Background

Monday, June 15, 2020

New Release: The Dare by Elle Kennedy + Review!






The Dare by Elle Kennedy is now available!


College was supposed to be my chance to get over my ugly-duckling complex and spread my wings. Instead, I wound up in a sorority full of mean girls. I already have a hard time fitting in, so when my Kappa Chi sisters issue the challenge, I can’t say no.

The dare: seduce the hottest new hockey player in the junior class.

Conor Edwards is a regular at Greek Row parties…and in Greek Row sorority beds. He’s the one you fall for before you learn that guys like him don’t give girls like me a second glance. Except Mr. Popular throws me for a loop—rather than laughing in my face, he does me a solid by letting me take him upstairs to pretend we’re getting busy.

Even crazier, now he wants to keep pretending. Turns out Conor loves games, and he thinks it’s fun to pull the wool over my frenemies’ eyes.

But resisting his easy charm and surfer-boy hotness is darn near impossible. Though I’m realizing there’s much more to Conor’s story than his fan club can see.

And the longer this silly ruse goes on, the greater the danger of it all blowing up in my face.
 



Buy Links: 

Amazon: https://geni.us/TDrAmz
Apple: https://geni.us/TDrAp
Kobo: https://geni.us/TDrKobo
Nook: https://geni.us/TDrNook
Google: https://geni.us/TDrGP




Review:

3.5- 3.75 stars
***


 This was a cute book! The Dare is part of the Briar U series and is Conor and Taylor's story. Conor is a cutie pie who walked on to the hockey team and Taylor is an insecure, plus sized girl in a sorority. Taylor is at a party at when her mean girl sorority sister dares her to hook up with hot, popular Conor. She asks him to play along with her and to pretend like they hooked up, when instead the two spend hours talking in a bedroom upstairs. The two find they have chemistry and fun banter. To keep the mean girls at bay, they become friends and pretend to be dating. Soon their pretend relationship starts to feel very real and they fall for each other.

This was a fun story. I liked Conor and Taylor. They both have insecurities in different ways and are just trying to make their way, navigate friends and school, and figure out who they are meant to be. They also both aren't sure they are worthy of being in a relationship with each other. Those issues lead to a few bumps along their journey. I do have to say that I enjoyed the first 90% of the book more than the end. The climax happens at the last minute and made it a little hard for me to feel the love between the couple again afterwards. They both have a few immature moments and I was left feeling a little unsure that they would not screw up again. I just wasn't totally sure that Conor and Taylor could mature into an adult, forever relationship. More resolution would have helped in this case. Still, I enjoyed most of the book a lot, even if it didn't completely wrap up in a nice bow like I wanted, which is probably more realistic anyway.

Overall, The Dare was an entertaining, light and easy read. It brought me back to that nostalgic feeling of navigating relationships for the first time while having a fun college experience. Conor and Taylor were a very real and relatable couple with great chemistry. I enjoyed seeing their relationship develop into love. The Briar U series is such a fun series. I look forward to what Ms. Kennedy comes up with next.


Excerpt: Available here



No comments:

Post a Comment